Knowledge Sharing on the Costing of Structural Reforms: Montenegro (By Invitation)
This event is a continuation of the CEF’s support to the European Union candidate and potential candidate countries in preparation of their Economic Reform Programmes (ERP) for the 2022 – 2024 period. It is aimed at building capacities of line ministries to estimate implementation costs and financing resources of drafted structural reforms, while ensuring alignment with the latest European Commission’s Guidelines for the ERP preparation (published in June 2021).
About this event
Structural reform measures outlined in the ERPs are set to tackle the most important structural obstacles to the competitiveness and inclusive growth of a country. However, the structural reforms outlined in the ERP shall also reflect the country’s medium-term priorities in the areas of public finance management, health care, green transition and digital transformation.
By implementing these structural reforms, countries aspire to embrace the opportunities and minimize the potential negative implications of such transformations. In the situation where macro-fiscal stability and fiscal risks are potentially disrupted by a substantial number of policy areas newly introduced to the ERP, it is even more important that all measures are well prioritized and realistically costed and funded.
As a response, the objective of this event is to provide a platform for assessing the scope and accuracy of envisaged implementation costs and funding sources for the measures proposed for inclusion in the 2022 – 2024 ERP, in line with the Methodological Guidance for Costing of Structural Reforms (Costing Guidance) and the European Commission‘s Guidance for the ERP 2022-2024, while the descriptions of these measures will be assessed if they provide sufficient information for doing proper costing.
What will you learn
This event will be highly participatory and oriented towards practical implementation of the Costing Guidance to structural reforms to be included in the next ERP. By attending it, the participants will have a possibility to jointly work with lecturing experts and peers form other institutions involved in ERP preparation, to assess and determine the prospects for overcoming the main costing challenges. In particular, participants will have the opportunity to strengthen their skills needed for assessing fiscal implications of structural reforms by:
- Learning about the novelties from the European Commission’s Guidance for the 2022-2024 ERP and how they influence the ERP preparation process
- Refreshing the knowledge about the Costing Guidance and how to practically implement it on the draft measures
- Appraising how well-articulated measures’ description and sequencing can contribute to realistic costs and secured funding for their implementation
- Assessing how to streamline the process of cooperation and information exchange between line ministries, the Ministry of Finance and the ERP Coordinator.
The event builds on the knowledge shared and lessons learned during the series of events delivered under FISR project for the public officials from Montenegro throughout 2019 – 2021, while acknowledging identified country-specific learning needs.
Who should attend
Invited to participate are the officials involved in the design, costing and budgeting of structural reforms outlined in the ERP, which include:
- Coordinator for the ERP preparation and their team members
- Officials from line ministries and ministry of finance who are members of the working group for preparation of the ERP Chapter 5 on Structural Reforms.
- Mojmir Mrak, CEF Expert, Professor at the University of Ljubljana
- Tijana Stanković, CEF Local Expert, Deputy Director for Quality Assurance and Research, AKOKVO, Former Assistant Minister, Ministry of Finance of Montenegro
Applications details for the online meetings will be published in October, 2021.
- The event will include two parts: face-to-face meeting in Podgorica on September 14, 2021, and online meetings that will be organized on November 18 and 19, 2021.
- Basic information technology is needed to participate (internet connection and computer).
- The event will be delivered in Montenegrin language.
- Upon successful completion of this event, you will receive a certificate.
- No participation fee will be charged.
This event is delivered as part of the EU funded multi-country project “Strengthening Line Ministries’ Capacities to Assess Fiscal Implications of Structural Reforms” (FISR) implemented by the CEF.