Costing Structural Reforms in the ERP: Methodology and Challenges- North Macedonia (by invitation only)
This learning initiative will be discussing several aspects of the Economic Reform Programme (ERP) as the main document prepared by the Government of North Macedonia in its macroeconomic dialogue with the European Union (EU). The role of the ERP in the Economic Governance, methodology for development of the ERP, especially the chapter on Structural reforms and methodology for their costing will be the main topics of discussion.
About this event
The ERP preparation requires strong commitment and clear guidance at the government level on prioritization and implementation of structural reforms, as well as their design, costing and financing over the medium-term. Due to complexity of structural reforms significant efforts were so far put into strengthening of the methodological framework for articulation of structural reforms, as well as their prioritization.
This event aims to discuss role of the ERP within the EU economic governance and explain prospects for overcoming inconsistencies in integration of structural reforms from the ERPs into domestic fiscal framework.
The event will go in depth discussion of costing of the structural reforms and provide a user-friendly environment to understand and learn practical steps towards improved costing of structural reforms leading to improvement of the overall quality of the ERP chapter covering structural reforms (Chapter 4).
The workshop will include the elements of Methodological Guidance for costing of structural reforms under ERPs and provide practical examples for costing and financing of structural reforms in North Macedonia.
The costing is only a final phase of a complex process dependent on strong involvement of line ministries. Therefore, this event will also be focused at identifying capacity limitations in line ministries to assess the costs and funding sources for structural reforms, while incentivizing coordination and exchange of financial and non-financial information with the Ministry of Finance.
What will you learn?
This event will bring together carefully selected representatives from versatile group of institutions to discuss prospects for improved costing of structural reforms and their integration into the domestic fiscal framework.
Upon its completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify specifics of the ERP process and its position within the European economic governance and the EU integration process of North Macedonia;
- Appraise the benefits and determine methods and approaches for adequate integration of structural reforms with a significant fiscal implication into medium-term fiscal framework of the country
- Outline the key features of a redesigned methodological framework for measuring the costs of structural reforms measures under ERPs
- Examine prospects for practical utilization of the Costing Guidance
- Assess how to streamline the process of cooperation and communication between line ministries and ministry of finance in preparation of ERPs.
Since the event will be designed as partaking, the participants will be actively engaged in discussions and encouraged to share their and their institutions’ experiences and challenges. It will provide a ground for sharing the best practices between participants and experts coming from the South East European region.
Who should attend?
- National ERP Coordinator and Coordinator for the ERP Chapter 4
- Members of the working group for ERP preparation
- Officials working at the finance and policy departments of Line Ministries
- Officials working at budget department of Ministry of Finance
- Policy planning experts from the government’s policy coordination body and/or Prime Ministers’ office.
The learning initiative will be delivered under the guidance of:
- Mojmir Mrak – CEF Associate Fellow and a Jean Monnet professor at the Faculty of Economics, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Janez Šušteršič - CEF Associate Fellow and a senior economic expert in formulating and implementing economic and fiscal policies
- Anto Bajo — Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Andrija Aleksoski - Assistant Head for EU and International Financial Relations, National ERP Coordinator, ECFIN Subcommittee Co-chair and IPA Senior Program Officer (SPO)/International Financial Relations and Public Debt Management Department, Ministry of Finance, North Macedonia
- Vesna Cvetanova - Member of the ERP Secretariat of the Republic of North Macedonia and Deputy Head of the Department for Analysis of Monetary and Financial Sector, Sector for Macroeconomic Policy, Ministry of Finance of North Macedonia
- Silvana Mojsovska – CEF Expert and full-time professor at Institute of Economics, University of “St. Cyril and Methodius”, Skopje
The event will take place in the Press Centre of the Ministry of Finance of North Macedonia on May 23, 2019. It will be delivered in Macedonian and English language and interpretation will be provided.
Participation at this event is by invitation only. Participation is registered at this online application form latest by May 17, 2019.
For more information please contact:
- Ms Bojana Crnadak, Program Specialist: bojana.crnadak(at)cef-see.org; +386 1 369 6333
- Ms Natasha Ilijeva Acevska, Program Officer : natasha.ilijeva(at)cef-see.org; +386 1 369 6186
This learning initiative was supported by: