Policy Drafting and Negotiations in Line Ministries
A precondition for successful implementation of structural reforms is to ensure that they are well-drafted, with clear statement of their expected impact and performance indicators. Well-stated measures build on effective communication and negotiation with various stakeholders, which can then be costed and integrated into the budget frameworks. The objective of this online course is to improve writing of policy measures and support officials in transforming their ideas into clear statements, which entails also negotiating them with various stakeholders before their incorporation into the Economic Reform Programs.
What will you learn
Structural reform measures outlined in the Economic Reform Programs (ERP) are policy measures prioritized in dialogue with the EU and aimed at enhancing economic growth and competitiveness. This online course will in the first part focus on writing of effective, clear, and concise structural reform measures that are an essential part of the ERP document. Through a combination of webinar lectures, assignments, and study of learning resources participants will learn about ways to develop and strengthen the content and processes for the writing of these documents. We will also familiarize with the methodology for writing of policy measures and guidelines on how to write ERP documents.
The second part of the workshop will be dedicated to practicing of the skill of negotiations. Clear and well-drafted structural reform measures require not only writing but also forming of common institutional understanding and position of their content, such that can be then presented to other line ministries and ministry of finance. Improving of negotiation skills will be addressed via interactive game of simulation of negotiations.
The online course will cover the following learning objectives:
- Improve writing of structural reform measures that are part of the ERP document with the aim to make their substance clear and concise.
- Improve negotiation skills aimed at forming a unified institutional position on structural reform measures to be included into the ERP document.
- Exchange of country experiences on the above in a participatory learning environment.
Who should attend
This event is intended for public officials from line ministries that are involved in the process of preparation and coordination of the ERP. Particularly those working on ERP inputs in policy and financial departments and in cabinets of ministers.
- The course will be in the delivered in English language.
- Upon fulfilment of the required learning steps, you will receive a certificate of successful completion of this online course.
- No fee will be charged.
- Paul McClure, CEF Associate Fellow, Senior Communications Officer, World Bank Group
- Saša Jazbec, CEF Associate Fellow, Former State Secretary, Ministry of Finance of Slovenia
This event is delivered as part of the EU funded multi-country project “Strengthening Line Ministries’ Capacities to Assess Fiscal Implications of Structural Reforms” (FISR) implemented by the CEF. Participation of public officials from Moldova is made possible by the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic while World Bank Group provide in-kind support to the delivery of this initiative.
This learning initiative was supported by: